Business Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions constitute a legally binding agreement between the Client and Translation Doctor Ltd, regarding services rendered or to be rendered by Translation Doctor Ltd. In the event of any conflict concerning communications, proposals, contracts, marketing materials, or agreements, these Terms and Conditions shall apply. Submission of source materials (as defined below) constitutes acceptance of all these terms and conditions.
The headings in these terms and conditions are for convenience only and shall not affect their interpretation.
Translation Doctor Ltd means Translation Doctor Limited, a Company registered and trading in England as Company no. 6448868 and having its registered place of business at 22 Blakeney Road, Beckenham, Kent BR3 1HD, United Kingdom.
Agreement means the order for the provision of the Services by Translation Doctor Ltd to the Client.
Charges means the fees, charges and expenses for the Services as set out in the Quotation form.
Client means any individual, company, firm, organization or other legal person who commissions the services.
Source Material means any documents, materials, elements of text, images, graphics, photographs, designs, data or other information provided by the Client to Translation Doctor Ltd relating to the Services.
Translated Material means any documents, transcripts, translations, materials, elements of text, images, graphics, photographs, designs, data or other information provided by Translation Doctor Ltd to the Customer relating to the Services.
Quotation means the form to which these terms and conditions are appended.
Services means the services to be provided by Translation Doctor Ltd for/to the Client.
- 2.1 Translation Doctor Ltd accepts an order from the Client on the understanding that performance of the translation task will not infringe any third party rights
- 2.2 The Client undertakes to keep Translation Doctor Ltd harmless from any claim for infringement of copyright and/or other intellectual property rights in all cases.
- 2.3. The Client likewise undertakes to keep Translation Doctor Ltd harmless from any legal action including defamation which may arise as a result of the content of the original source material or its translation.
- 2.4. Unless there is an agreement to the contrary, the property and copyright or other intellectual property rights in the Translated Material remains the property of Translation Doctor Ltd.
- 3.1. In the absence of any specific agreement, the fee to be charged shall be determined by Translation Doctor Ltd on the basis of the Client’s description of the source material, the purpose of the translation and any instructions given by the Client.
- 3.2. A final quotation will not be given by Translation Doctor Ltd until Translation Doctor Ltd has seen all of the source material and have received final instructions from the Client.
- 3.3. VAT will be charged in addition to the quoted fee.
- 3.4. Any fee quoted, estimated or agreed by Translation Doctor Ltd on the basis of the Client’s description of the task may be subject to amendment by agreement between the parties if, in Translation Doctor Ltd’s opinion on having seen the source material, that description is materially inadequate or inaccurate.
- 3.5. Any fee agreed for translation which is found to present latent special difficulties of which neither party could be reasonably aware at the time of offer and acceptance shall be renegotiated, always provided that the circumstances are made known to the other party as soon as reasonably practical after they become apparent.
- 3.6. An estimate shall not be considered contractually binding, but given for guidance or information only.
- 3.7 Where delivery requested by the client involves expenditure greater than the normal cost for delivery (e.g. special delivery), this additional cost shall be chargeable to the Client. If the additional cost is incurred as a result of action or inaction by Translation Doctor Ltd, it shall not be borne by the Client, unless otherwise agreed.
- 3.8 Other supplementary charges, for example those arising from:
3.9. If any changes are made in the text or to the Client’s requirements at any time while the task is in progress, Translation Doctor Ltd’s fee, any applicable supplementary charges and the terms of delivery shall be adjusted in respect of additional work.
- discontinuous text, complicated layout or other forms of layout or presentation requiring additional time or resources, and/or
- poorly legible copy, and/or
- terminological research, and/or
- certification, notarisation, and/or
- priority work or work outside normal office hours in order to meet the Client’s deadline or other requirements may also be charged.
- The nature of such charges shall be agreed in advance.
- 4.1 All orders will be deemed accepted following receipt of source material together with confirmation in writing from the Client, sent via fax, email or post to Translation Doctor Ltd. No contract shall arise until such confirmation is given by the Client and received and accepted by Translation Doctor Ltd. Each order, when accepted, constitutes a separate contract.
- 5.1 Any delivery date or dates agreed between Translation Doctor Ltd and the Client shall become binding only after Translation Doctor Ltd has seen all of the source material to be translated and has received complete instructions from the Client.
- 5.2. The date of delivery shall not be of the essence unless specifically agreed in writing.
- 5.3. A delivery date shall be specified in the quotation and Translation Doctor Ltd shall endeavour to meet such requirement, but subject to provision 5.2 above, Translation Doctor Ltd shall not be liable for any delay in delivery howsoever caused.
- 5.4. Unless otherwise agreed, Translation Doctor Ltd shall dispatch the translation in such a way that the Client can reasonably expect to receive it not later than the normal close of business at the Client’s premises on the date of delivery.
- 6.1 Translation Doctor Ltd shall correct the following errors free of charge: mistranslation, omissions, typo, grammatical mistake or non-adherence to any approved glossary or reference.
- 6.2 The Client agrees that Translation Doctor Ltd shall have no liability or obligation regarding errors in translations unless Translation Doctor Ltd received notification of the error(s) within ten (10) working days following delivery of the Translated Material to the Client.
- 6.3. Translation Doctor Ltd’s sole obligation with respect to errors shall be the obligation to correct the translated material at no cost to the Client.
- 7.1 Any original documents or information provided by the Client as confidential, and any translated material, shall be treated as confidential by Translation Doctor Ltd.
- 7.2 Translation Doctor Ltd shall not without the prior consent by the Client, divulge or otherwise disclose such information to any person other than authorised employees or authorised sub-contractors of Translation Doctor Ltd, whose job performances require such act.
- 7.3 Provision 7.1 above shall not apply to any documentation, data or other information that are public knowledge at the time they are provided by either party, and shall cease to apply if it becomes a matter of public knowledge other than by disclosure by Translation Doctor Ltd.
- 7.4 Translation Doctor Ltd shall be responsible for the safe-keeping of the Client’s documents and copies of the translations during the performance of the task and during a period of 12 months from the date of delivery, after which Translation Doctor Ltd shall ensure their secure disposal. Should the Client require any documents to be destroyed, this shall be requested in writing.
- 8.1 If a translation task is commissioned and subsequently cancelled, reduced in scope or frustrated by an act or omission on the part of the Client or any third party the Client shall, except in the circumstances described in provision 8.3 below, pay Translation Doctor Ltd the full contract sum unless otherwise agreed in advance. The work completed shall be made available to the Client.
- 8.2. If a Client goes into liquidation (other than voluntary liquidation for the purposes of reconstruction) or has a Receiver appointed or becomes insolvent, bankrupt or enters into any arrangement with creditors, Translation Doctor Ltd shall have the right to terminate a contract.
- 8.3. Neither Translation Doctor Ltd nor the Client shall be liable to the other or any third party for consequences which are the result of circumstances wholly beyond the control of either party.
- 8.4. Translation Doctor Ltd shall notify the Client as soon as is reasonably practical of any circumstances likely to prejudice Translation Doctor Ltd’s ability to comply with the terms of the Client’s order, and assist the Client as far as reasonably practical to identify an alternative solution.
- 9.1. Client should make the payment by return of receipt of invoice issued by Translation Doctor Ltd, or as specified on any quotation or estimate provided by Translation Doctor Ltd.
- 9.2 Translation Doctor Ltd reserves the right to request payment in advance and may carry out credit checks or request references at Translation Doctor Ltd’s discretion.
- 9.3 Translation Doctor Ltd understands and will exercise their statutory right to interest under the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1988 if payment is not made according to agreed credit limits. Interest shall automatically be applied at the rate of 8% per annum over base rate (or such rate as is determined by statute, the latter prevailing) to all overdue amounts from the date on which they become due until they are paid in full.
- 9.4 If payment remains overdue for more than 21 days, Translation Doctor Ltd reserves the right to stop the provision of the Services until payment of all outstanding charges and interest is made or other terms are agreed. Such withholding does not relieve the Client of its obligation to pay any outstanding Charges and interest.
- 9.5 Should it be necessary for Translation Doctor Ltd to use the services of a debt recovery agent, a surcharge of 30% of the total amount due will be applied to cover administration costs.
- 9.6 All payments should be made in Pound Sterling unless otherwise agreed in writing, preferably via electronic transfer, for which Translation Doctor Ltd will not cover costs of any third party. If any cheque from the client is returned by the bank as unpaid for any reason, the Client will be liable for an administration fee of £40.
- COMPLAINTS AND DISPUTES
- 10.1 Failure by Translation Doctor Ltd to meet agreed order requirements shall entitle the client to:
- 10.1.1 reduce, with Translation Doctor Ltd’s consent, the fee payable for work done by a sum equal to the reasonable cost necessary to remedy the deficiencies, and/or
- 10.1.2 cancel any further instalments of work being undertaken by Translation Doctor Ltd.
- 10.1.3 Such entitlement shall only apply after Translation Doctor Ltd has been given opportunity to bring the work up to the required standard.
- 10.1.4 This entitlement shall not apply unless Translation Doctor Ltd has been notified in writing of all alleged defects.
- 10.2 Any complaint in connection with a translation task shall be notified to Translation Doctor Ltd by the Client within ten days of the date of delivery of the translation.
- 10.2.1 If the parties are unable to agree, the matter may be referred to an arbitrator which shall be an independent third party to be agreed upon by both parties.
- 10.2.2 Such referral shall be made no later than two months from the date on which the original complaint was made.
- 10.3 If a dispute cannot be resolved amicably between the parties, or if either party refuses to accept arbitration, the parties shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the Courts of England and Wales.
- WARRANTIES AND LIABILITY
- 11.1 Translation Doctor Ltd shall carry out the Services using reasonable care and skill and in accordance with the standards of the industry.
- 11.2 Translation Doctor Ltd shall use reasonable skill and care in selecting translators and other personnel necessary to provide the Services to the Client.
- 11.3 The Client accepts that translators specialising in certain subjects, such as, but not limited to, legal or technical, may only have a general understanding of the terms normally found in these subjects texts; they are not necessarily qualified or experienced to work in the specific field. Translation Doctor Ltd is entitled to rely on representations made by its sub-contractors, translators as to their language skills, qualifications and experience.
- 11.4 Translation Doctor Ltd does not warrant that the Translated Material will meet specific requirements and Translation Doctor Ltd, its agents, contractors, licensors and employees do not guarantee that the Services will be uninterrupted and free from error.
- 11.5 If a translation is in any way amended or altered without the written permission of Translation Doctor Ltd, Translation Doctor Ltd shall not be in any way liable for amendments made or their consequences.
- 11.6 Translation Doctor Ltd contracts under these Terms solely with the Client and expressly has no contractual relationship or liability of whatever nature under these Terms to any third party.
- 11.7 Translation Doctor Ltd shall not be liable to the client, except in respect of death or personal injury caused by Translation Doctor Ltd’s negligence, for any incidental, indirect, special or consequential damages or loss of any nature whatsoever, nor for any claim against the Client by any third party, arising from or relating to Services provided by Translation Doctor Ltd, regardless of the nature of the claim or the form of the cause of action.
- 11.7.1 Translation Doctor Ltd’s entire liability to the Client under any Contract for the provision of any Services shall not exceed Translation Doctor Ltd’s Charges for the provision of the Services.
- 11.8 The Client warrants that for a period of two years after termination of the Agreement, the Client shall not either directly nor indirectly, solicit, employ, endeavour to entice away from Translation Doctor Ltd, or use the services of a sub-contractor who has provided the Services to the Client on Translation Doctor Ltd’s behalf under the Agreement. In the event of Client’s breach under this clause, the Client agrees to pay Translation Doctor Ltd an amount equal to the aggregate remuneration paid by Translation Doctor Ltd to the sub-contractor for the year immediately prior to the date on which the Client employed or used the Services of the subcontractor.
- 11.9 Neither party shall be liable to the other for any delay in, or failure of, performance of its obligations under the Agreement arising from any cause beyond its reasonable control including act of God, government act, war, fire, flood, explosion, civil commotion.
- 12.1 Translation Doctor Ltd may terminate the Services at any time without prior notice and without affecting any accrued rights or claims of Translation Doctor Ltd where the Services are misused by the Client, for non-payment of the Charges or for breach of these terms or in the case of the insolvency of the Client.
- 12.2 Translation Doctor Ltd may suspend provision of the Services for the duration of any non-payment period.
- 12.3 For the avoidance of doubt, where the Services are terminated by Translation Doctor Ltd under this clause, the Client will remain liable for the full payment of the Charges for the Services completed, all work in progress and any interest payable under clause 9.3.
- 13.1 Any notice required or permitted to be given by either party to the other under these terms will be in writing addressed to the other party at its registered office or principal place of business and will be delivered personally or sent by prepaid first class letter, by e-mail or by fax.
- 13.2 Any notice delivered personally will be deemed delivered on the day of delivery; sent by post will be deemed (in the absence of evidence of earlier receipt) to have been delivered two days after despatch; sent by e-mail will be deemed to have been delivered on the same day following its sending (in the absence of evidence of delivery failure); sent by fax will be deemed to have been delivered on the day following its sending and in proving the fact of sending it will be sufficient to show a transmission report showing that the fax had been sent to the facsimile number of the other party at its registered office or principal place of business.
- DATA PROTECTION
- 14.1 Translation Doctor Ltd may collect and hold personal information provided by the Client to process the Client’s order and to provide the Services.
- 14.2 Translation Doctor Ltd will hold the personal information collected at the principal place of business. Under the Privacy Act 1993 if the Client is an individual he or she has rights of access to and correction of his or her personal information held by Translation Doctor Ltd by contacting email@example.com.
- 14.3 Failure to provide necessary personal information at the time of collection may result in Translation Doctor Ltd being unable to provide some or all of the Services.
- 14.4 Each party shall ensure that during the performance of its obligations under these terms and conditions, will at all times comply with relevant provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998.
- 15.1 The invalidity or enforceability of any provision hereof shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision.
- 15.2 These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. Disputes arising here from shall be exclusively subject to the jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.